Corporate Services (Audit) Assistant Manager (Ipswich, Bury St Edmunds or Saxmundham)
Location: Ipswich, Bury St Edmunds, Saxmundham
We have an opportunity within our Audit team for an Assistant Manager who is ICAEW/ACCA qualified or qualified by experience, with recent UK practice experience. The role can be based at our Ipswich, Bury St Edmunds or Saxmundham office, although applicants should be aware that the client portfolio will be biased towards the Ipswich area.
Our client portfolio includes business clients across the spectrum from the very small to groups turning over several hundreds of million pounds including OMBs, subsidiaries of larger international groups, charities, pension schemes and LLPs. We act for a number of East Anglia’s most significant businesses including many household names and also have other clients based locally, throughout the UK and internationally. This means we can offer you exposure to a broad and mixed portfolio of work.
This diverse role offers real scope to further develop your existing accounting skills as well as your external profile. You will be expected to participate in all stages of an audit from planning through to fieldwork, and finalisation of the assignment for Partner review. Reporting directly to the Corporate Services Manager and Partners, you will oversee client engagement teams and may manage multiple engagements simultaneously whilst also taking a lead on client contact.
Responsibilities will include:
- Overseeing day to day work on client engagements; mentoring and developing team members
- Leading audit assignments in order to produce high quality audit files
- Reviewing assignments and working papers, providing constructive feedback to team members
- Client interaction, including communicating engagement progress, problems, financial information and other business concerns
- Participating in networking and building client relationships
- Monitoring engagement profitability – billings and collections
Further details of how our audit teams work can be seen here.
Skills and Experience required:
- You must be ICAEW/ACCA qualified or QBE, with recent UK practice-based experience.
- Thorough knowledge of audit work with prior experience of planning and leading audits. Strong technical knowledge on audit matters (eg FRS102, UK GAAP) is essential.
- Good all-round knowledge of audit and accounting software packages. Familiarity with CCH software would be advantageous. Competent MS office skills (Word, Excel).
- Previous experience of leading audit teams including training, mentoring, and supervising students in their day to day work.
- Proven background in effectively managing a client portfolio.
- Prior experience of front-line client contact, and attending client meetings to explain findings and raise queries.
- Capable of managing multiple deadlines and delegating work effectively within a team.
- Articulate and confident communicator, both orally and written.
- Ability to work independently with little supervision, whilst capable of integrating well within a team environment.
- Flexible and willing to undertake some travel plus overnight stays away from home.
- A thorough, self-motivated and tenacious approach to work, with an expert eye for detail.
- Sector specialist experience in Charities and Academy accounting / auditing and / or Pension scheme accounting / auditing would be beneficial.
- Financial modelling / advanced excel training.
- An understanding of Corporation Tax with the ability to produce, draft and review draft corporation tax computations to enable proactive dialogue with clients.
- A focus on personal development.
- Previous experience in business development activities such as tender processes and presentations, coupled with a strong network of relationships. A willingness and ability to work with the partners to win new work.
- Experience of making presentations on technical matters.
The role offers a great opportunity to gain experience within a prestigious team that has gained significant recognition. Ensors was shortlisted for ‘Pensions Accountancy Firm of the Year’ at the 2020 Pensions Age Awards. Ensors won ‘Medium Business of the Year’ at the Huntingdonshire Business Awards 2019. Ensors also won the ‘Mid-Tier Firm of the Year’ category at the British Accountancy Awards 2018. and was also a finalist at the Suffolk Business Awards 2018 (‘Large Business’ category). We were accredited as ‘One to Watch’ at the Best Employers Eastern Region 2018 awards. See more here.
We offer an attractive salary with many benefits in a friendly working environment. We have an extensive in-house training programme for all staff.
To apply, please send your CV together with a covering letter stating your current salary and which location you are applying for, to firstname.lastname@example.org quoting reference ‘cs-am’. Please note we are not accepting postal applications for this role.