Business Services Senior Accountant/Assistant Manager (Bury St Edmunds)
Location: Bury St Edmunds
We are seeking a Senior Accountant or Assistant Manager to join the Business Services team at our Bury St Edmunds office. Our Business Services staff in Bury St Edmunds cover bookkeeping, personal tax, and accounting matters. The team assists a wide variety of businesses including sole traders, educational establishments, professional firms, charities and farms. This means that we can offer you exposure to a broad portfolio of work. We pride ourselves on being an approachable, supportive, friendly and sociable team. Close links to our Ipswich and Saxmundham offices enable further opportunities for personal development.
At Senior Accountant level the role will predominantly involve preparing financial accounts for sole traders, partnerships and limited companies, along with corporation and personal tax compliance.
At Assistant Manager level the role’s responsibilities will include drafting / reviewing accounts, drafting / reviewing tax returns, production of/reporting on management accounts, setting up accounting systems/functions and the completion of VAT returns for clients. You will oversee client engagement teams, monitor engagement profitability, and you may manage multiple engagements simultaneously whilst also taking a lead on client contact.
The successful candidate will need to be equally effective in working both as part of a team, and alone, either within our office or at client sites. As some of the work will be carried out at clients’ premises, a full UK driving licence with access to own transport will be necessary.
We are looking for the following in the successful candidate:
- Will have good academic results with a minimum C grade GCSE in Mathematics and English (or equivalent).
- Will be ICAEW or ACCA qualified, (or able to demonstrate they are qualified by experience to a comparable standard), with a high level of IT proficiency and the ability to use various packages, in particular MS Office (Word, Excel), Sage, Xero and Quickbooks. Prior experience of CCH software would be useful.
- Must have previous (recent) experience within a UK accountancy practice environment managing a client list with frontline contact with clients.
- Will have previous involvement in accounts preparation work and tax returns for both unincorporated and corporate clients.
- Excellent communication skills: will be confident and articulate in dealing with a wide range of clients.
- Will have a tenacious, thorough and self-motivated attitude with an expert eye for detail, good organisational skills and the ability to identify and deal with potential issues.
- Will be competent in dealing with sensitive information and maintaining confidentiality.
- A proven track record of working to deadlines and effectively handling multiple priorities, with a positive attitude to problem-solving and working in a small team.
- Must have UK driving licence and own transport to facilitate visits to client sites.
Additionally, at Assistant Manager level we are seeking:
- Prior practical experience of drafting accounts from both manual and computerised records, producing and reporting on management accounts, producing personal and corporate tax computations/returns, setting up accounting systems/functions plus experience of completing VAT returns.
- Knowledge of any, or all of the following, would be an asset: CCH Accounts, Alphatax, and Evolution.
- Previous experience in preparing P11Ds.
- Previous experience in overseeing day to day work on client engagements, mentoring, and developing team members would be helpful.
- Motivation and ability to support the partners with business development activities. Previous involvement in business development activities would be helpful.
The role offers a great opportunity to gain experience within a prestigious team that has gained significant recognition. Ensors recently won the Private Equity/Venture Capital Deal of the Year in the Central & East Insider Dealmaker Awards 2020. Ensors secured 1st place in the Experian 2020 Corporate Finance Adviser League Table. Ensors was also shortlisted for ‘Pensions Accountancy Firm of the Year’ at the 2020 Pensions Age Awards. Ensors won ‘Medium Business of the Year’ at the Huntingdonshire Business Awards 2019. See more here.
We offer an attractive salary with many benefits in a friendly working environment. We have an extensive in-house training programme for all staff. Read more about working at Ensors here.
To apply, please send your CV together with a covering letter stating your current salary and which level of role you are applying for, to our HR department quoting reference ‘bury bs-amsnr’. Please note we are not accepting postal applications for this role.