Background

1837:

Ipswich House and Estate Agent John Lott Ensor expands his business into providing accountancy services for estates and those involved in the management of property. The name Lott, well known in Suffolk, was immortalised by local artist John Constable when he painted Willy Lott’s cottage at Flatford.

1841:

John Lott Ensor becomes a Liberal Councillor of the Borough of Ipswich, serving until 1854

1851:

John Lott Ensor becomes a Director of the Ipswich Permanent Benefit Building Society and a Guardian of the Ipswich Union.

1889:

Ensors is established in Museum Street and John’s son, Isaac Lott, is admitted to the Institute of Chartered Accountants, when that body is less than nine years old. At this time, taxes are a mere 6d (two-and-half pence) in the £.

1905:

Isaac is joined by his son Lionel and the firm becomes known as I L Ensor & Son.

1923:

The firm opens a branch office in Bury St Edmunds under a new partner, Garfield Goult, and the business becomes known as Ensor, Son & Goult.

1948:

Bill Read opens the Felixstowe office.

1956:

The Ipswich office moves to 7 Elm Street.

1965:

These premises are extended to overlook Princes Street.

1970:

The firm takes over additional space in Queen’s Street, Ipswich.

1976:

The firm name is shortened to Ensors.

1980:

The Ipswich offices are combined under one roof in Saxon House, St Nicholas Street.

1986:

The Ipswich office is moved to Cardinal House in St Nicholas Street, site of the town’s former Hippodrome Theatre.

1988:

Alan Hawes sets up the Saxmundham office at Blyth House in Rendham Road.

1992:

Merge with Radfords Chartered Accountants, a West Suffolk firm with offices in Bury St Edmunds, Haverhill and Stowmarket. They bring with them a firm of Independent Financial Advisors, Roger Wash & Associates Ltd, based in Newmarket.

1996:

Steven Law joins as partner and establishes the Business Recovery team.

1997:

Ensors Financial Services is formed in the Ipswich office.

2002:

Established a Corporate Finance department.

2003:

Established a specialist Corporate Taxation department.

2005:

The Felixstowe and Stowmarket offices merged with Ipswich and Bury St Edmunds respectively.

2006:

Merged with The Kinnaird Partnership, Cambridge - a three partner firm of Chartered Accountants established since 1959.  Ivor Gorman and Paul Williams joined the Ensors partnership.

2007:

Merged with Robert Williams & Company, Huntingdon.  Bob Williams, founding partner of Robert Williams & Company, joined the Ensors partnership.
Carl Page joined the partnership.
Bury, Haverhill and Newmarket offices amalgamated and move to brand new purpose-built offices at Fornham All Saints just outside Bury St Edmunds.

2008:

Robert Leggett and David Scrivener joined the partnership.

2009:

Malcolm McGready joined the partnership.

2010:

Merged with David Verney Partnership in Ipswich

2011:

Mark Upton joined the partnership.
Cambridge office moved to St John's Innovation Park.

2012:

Barry Gostling joined the partnership

2013:

Jan McLean & James Francis joined the partnership
Ensors Financial Planning (EFP) is sold to Ascot Lloyd

2014:

Ensors 125th anniversary year
Fiona Hotston Moore joined the partnership

125th ANNIVERSARY

To celebrate the anniversary of the founding of Ensors Chartered Accountant we have published a commemorative book.
It is available online or, if you would like a hard copy, please contact Jane Newley.